Sunday, September 19, 2004

Back to Hsinchu (9/17)

September 17th was the first time that all student -teachers from NCTU went back to Hsinchu for the monthly meeting. This meeting was originally scheduled on September 24th, however, it was changed because there was a conference, 九年一貫課程教育研習會議, held on that day. The topic itself was not very attractive to me because we have listened to all the "official descriptions" of this plan for several years and found it difficult to practice in real teaching. However, some points from the speakers on that day impressed me.
Besides introducing the basic beliefs in the plan, one speaker also reported the difficulties the authority has faced. One of the biggest problem is from parents. The more parents know about the plan of educational revolution, the harder for the authority to perform it because opinions against the revolustion would appear certainly. It recalles me of what I read in the paper Alice handed to me, saying that frequent, close contact with parents is helpful for first year teachers. Therefore, how to establish a good interaction with parents is important. The Parents' Day is coming next Friday, though I'm not the real homeroom teacher, I feel expected and nervous. But I'm sure meeting the parents will help me understand my students better for sure.
Also, another saying that impressed me is from the book Brave New World, meaning that the cost of more perfection is less freedom. However, in my opinion, principles play a important role in teenage development. How to balance certain belief again the other belief has been confused me. I'm still trying hard to find the board line by observing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

Dear Hedy,

I am totally with you that keeping close contact with students' parents is necessary. I hold that an open and objective communication channel can create a win-win situation. I usually take a strategy which requires me to listen to parents' opinions in a non-judgemental way and hold back my own subjectivity so that I can see things in a broader perspective. Besides, I usually try to win the parents' trust the first time we meet. Have you noticed what the foundation of a teachers' passion is? There's no big secret but LOVE!

This year, I found myself changing a little bit. I am learning how to show my assertiveness while still managing to befriend my students. My problem in the past was that students thought of me as their friends but they were not "intimidated" by my authority (there was little of it, actually). I don't intend to become a very demanding or strict teacher but I think a suitable amount of authority grants me more power to practice what is needed to be done in class.

I would love to know more about the book you mentioned, Brave New World.

September 28, 2004 at 3:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home