Monday, November 15, 2004

The 3rd class in Unit8-teaching the reading text (11/3)

First of all, I have to confess and I felt so sorry for class 廉 on the 3rd class since they were the first lesson I taught on that day. First, I asked the whole class to read the reading text together and after reading, some students were chosen to write the important idioms and phrases they found in each paragraph. Then, I explained the idioms and phrases. The whole procedure seemed to have nothing wrong, however, I would never blame the students for feeling bored and asleep in that class because even myself felt like finishing it AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. After the chaotic class, Alice asked me, "How do you think of your teaching this class? " Totally depressed and panic, I answered, "I totally lost control of the class. I felt like running down from the stage immediately" But escaping is never a good way, I have to teach class捷 in 5 minutes, generous Alice AGAIN saved my life. Therefore, in 5 minutes, I informed students that they have to look for the 8 marketing strategies used in supermarket before they read the text. After reading, each group was required to write down the strategies they found on the blackboard. Students seemed to enjoy the "mini activity" and the atmosphere was much better than the previous class. After I led some discussion about the marketing strategies in the textbook, we moved to the important idioms and phrases in each paragraph. I also gave them homework to get the main idea of each paragraph. In the later half of the class, I felt that the class was under my control, so I didn't feel afraid and nervous gradually. And to my surprise, Alice didn't go to the third class on that day. Here, I got to say the words I've said many times AGAIN, "Thanks for trusting me!" It was another challenge for me to teach a whole class by myself. Frankly speaking, I felt "extremely depressed" in the 2nd and 3rd class. I kept reminding myself: 1. Control the time well, 2. Try to use "student-centered" method as much as possible, 3. Don't feel panic and look at Alice all the time in class. 4. Not to be too nervous, otherwise I 'd make the class a chaos :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home