Monday, November 15, 2004

The 4th class in Unit8-grammar teaching (11/4, 11/5)

Feeling depressed for two days, I forced myself to recover as soon as possible because I still had many classes left. Therefore, I reconsidered if the lesson plan I made for the 4th class suitable or not. Since passive voice was not new to our students, and the pattern "...so that..." was not too difficult either, I decided to teach the grammar with powerpoint. I introduced the usage of the pattern and showed example sentences. In addition, I included some "blank-filling translation" for students to practice right after teaching the grammar.
In the beginning of the 4th class, I played the CD of reading text in order to recall students' memory of the content. Then I used powerpoint to repeat the 8 marketing strategies used in supermarket and asked students if they could think of other strategies frequently used. Then I moved to grammar. At first, I could tell that students thought it's another lecture class. Though it WAS a lecture, I tried my best to have interaction with them. For example, I'd asked students to read the sample sentences, to translate sentences from Chinese to English and vice versa. Also, I instructed them to do the blank-filling practice together.
Since it was the last class before weekend, I passed out the instruction of the project-Design An Ad-and informed them the job required this time. Students of each group knew the product they had to promote, so their homework for the weekend was grammar exercise and create so ideas for product promotion.
To my surprise, students in the 3 classes responded actively during the class. From this class, I found that even though the grammar itself may be boring and tough, the example sentences I used could make a big difference. For example, the popular movies, daily news or topics did attract students' attention. When some students were distracted in class, asking questions or simply instructing her to read aloud might be a good way. After the 4th class, I found that I was not as depressed as the first several classes. It made me think of what Alice told me, "As long as we prepare hard and well, things won't go too wrong." Though I was not satisfied with my teaching in the first week, I hoped things didn't go too wrong. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home